If you graduated high school in 1994, you probably had a few flannel shirts (and a Wonderbra, which took the fashion world by storm that year) or a hot X-Girl t-shirt or two in your closet. While the grunge world mourned the death of Kurt Cobain, ninety-five million people tuned in to watch the most exciting low-speed chase in history as Al Cowlings and OJ Simpson fled from the LAPD in the infamous white Ford Bronco. Notable 1994 events:
- The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) is established.
- The FDA approves the Flavr Savr tomato, the first genetically-engineered food product.
- Heather Whitestone becomes the first hearing impaired contestant to win the Miss America entitlement. Whitestone becomes Miss America 1995.
- The Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 is enacted in the UK. The whole of Part V, which covers collective trespass and nuisance on land, includes sections against raves, including the "succession of repetitive beats" definition.
- Figure skater Nancy Kerrigan is clubbed on the right leg by an assailant, under orders from rival Tonya Harding's ex-husband. Harding is later fined $100,000 and banned from the sport.
Nate Dogg (RIP!) and Warren G - Regulation
Ini Kamoze - Here Comes the Hotstepper
Salt n Pepa - Whatta Man
Haddaway - What Is Love
R. Kelly - Bump and Grind
No flashback list would be complete without a guilty pleasure, which is why we picked one the worst (best!) songs of the 90s, which just so happened to come out in 1994:
69 Boyz - Tootsee Roll
I feel a whoop comin' on!